PC version available via Steam and Square Enix Store.
Octopath Traveler is coming to PC via Steam on June 7, publisher Square Enix announced in a now-deleted blog post.
The RPG first launched for Switch worldwide in July 2018. A smartphone prequel called Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent is currently in development.
Here is the PC announcement blog post in full:
We have some very exciting news for PC gamers. Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7, 2019! So, yknow, add it to your Wishlist now.
The critically-acclaimed RPG has previously only been available on Nintendo Switch, so this will be the first time non-Nintendo owners can experience the game.
What is Octopath Traveler about?
Set in the beautiful, but dangerous, world of Osterra, Octopath Traveler puts you in control of 8 unique heroes – each with their own skillset, motivations and storylines. You can play as:
- Olberic: an experienced knight in search of redemption.
- Cyrus: a scholar whose book smarts don’t always equate to common sense.
- Tressa: an enthusiastic merchant who is travelling the world to hone her skills.
- Ophelia: a noble cleric on a pilgrimage to Orsterra’s holy sites.
- Primrose: a fallen noble on a quest to avenge her murdered father.
- Alfyn: a naive apothecary determined to help people whatever the cost.
- Therion: a skilled thief trapped in an impossible situation.
- H’annit: an expert hunter, tracking down her missing master.
You can start the game with any of those characters, and build your party in any order you want. Each one has a distinct class, and unique ‘Path Actions’ – abilities they can use out of combat to progress their adventure.
For example, Therion can steal items from NPCs, Olberic can start a scrap with pretty much anyone, and H’annit can tame wild beasts.
Over the course of the party’s various adventures, you’ll explore 8 vast regions full of stories, side-quests to discover, and gruesome creatures to battle against.
Speaking of battles, Octopath Traveler has a battle system that’s easy to understand, but imbued with impressive tactical depth.
It’s based around ‘breaking’ your targets – every enemy has a shield, and you need to take advantage of their weaknesses to break it and put them into a vulnerable state which essentially stuns them for a turn.
Finally, it would be remiss not to comment on how it looks. Octopath Traveler combines realistic 3D environments with classic RPG-inspired character sprites. It’s an utterly distinctive visual style and absolutely stunning – especially in motion.
How do I get Octopath Traveler on PC?
Octopath Traveler will be available to buy from Steam and the Square Enix Store. Add it to your Wishlist now!