Apex Legends Mobile ends service only 11 months after the launch
Respawn Entertainment and publisher Electronic Arts have announced that Apex Legends Mobile service will terminate on May 1.
On May 17, 2022, Apex Legends Mobile went live for both iOS and Android via the App Store and Google Play. The game will have been available when service is over for a little about a year. The company took to Twitter to give the announcement.
They also made a full statement and gave further explains on their site:
Apex Legends™ Mobile Update | 1/31/2023
At Respawn, we aim to provide players with games that are consistently outstanding. Following a strong start, the content pipeline for Apex Legends Mobile has begun to fall short of that bar for quality, quantity, and cadence. It is for this reason, after months of working with our development partner, that we have made the mutual decision to sunset our mobile game. Although disappointing, we are proud of the game we launched, are grateful for the support of the Apex Legends community, and are confident that this is the right decision for players.
Respawn and the Apex Legends team remain excited about mobile as a platform and look forward to new opportunities to serve players there in the future.
In terms of what players can expect from here, today marks the beginning of a ninety (90) day window before we sunset the game. As of 1 PM PST today, January 31st, we will be disabling all real money in-app purchases in the game as well as removing the game from webstores. During this period, players can spend their existing Syndicate Gold and continue playing the full game. At 4 PM PDT on May 1st, 2023, we will cease operations in all regions, and the game will no longer be playable.
We understand there will be many questions surrounding this decision and want to assure our players that we are here to help. Below you will find a list of questions and answers that will help clarify next steps. For questions that are not answered below or additional support, please click here.
Our love for the Apex universe and our players remains unchanged. We look forward to exploring this universe, its characters, and its stories along with you. In the meantime, we appreciate your continued support and patience as we navigate these next steps.
What will happen to my in-game purchases?
- All of your purchases will remain in your account for you to enjoy until 4 PM PDT on May 1, 2023.
What will happen to my in-game virtual currency?
- Your existing in-game virtual currency balances will persist in your account and can be spent on in-game content between now and 4 PM PDT on May 1, 2023. You’ll be able to enjoy all previously purchased and unlocked in-game content throughout the ninety (90) day sunset period as well.
Can I get a refund?
- We will not be providing refunds for real money purchases, per the terms of the EA User Agreement. For any other refund requests, please contact the third party platform you purchased game content from, e.g. the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
When will servers go down?
- Servers will cease operation at 4 PM PDT on May 1, 2023.
What will happen to the Apex Legends Mobile Webstore, and Apex Legends Mobile content offered for sale on third-party Web Stores?
- The Apex Legends Mobile Web Store will no longer be accessible, and all game content sales on third-party web stores will no longer be available.
What does this mean for Apex Legends on other platforms?
- This decision for Apex Legends Mobile is platform-specific and is independent of the game on PC and Consoles. As a franchise, Apex Legends is strong and we’re looking forward to sharing exciting updates in the future.
You can find out more here
What do you think are you sad to see this game go? or are you happy? Does it hurt mobile gaming in general? Let us know your thoughts…